- Candidate must meet the definition of a Veteran
- Took the Oath of Enlistment or Oath of Office
- Embodies the Core Values of their respective service branch
- Copy of DD214 is required for each candidate to confirm service.
(Click here to request a DD214 from the National Archives Veterans’ Records Service.)
- Eligible regardless of rank earned, branch of service, or component (Active, Reserve or National Guard)
- Candidate may be living or deceased
- Honorable Discharge is required, the only exception being separation based on veteran’s sexual orientation, gender identity or medical status
- Serves a role model by demonstrating repeated acts of charity, bridge building or community involvement in a manner that advances equality
- Must have served in or lived in San Diego County long enough to meet the contribution criteria, but need not have been in San Diego when this contribution criterion was met
- Must be nominated by someone other than themselves, with two co-sponsors who reside within the County of San Diego. The nominator need not be from the County of San Diego. Co-sponsors must be from the County of San Diego and need not know the candidate personally, but must support the candidate’s nomination. Nominations are accepted through July 31 for consideration for induction that calendar year. Nomination instructions and links are below.
- Any candidate registered as a sex offender or charged with sexual molestation (without acquittal) is not eligible for consideration.
To submit a nomination:
- Please fill out the nomination form here by July 31 of the year you wish consideration for induction be made.
- Please e-mail or mail backup documentation by July 31 of the year you wish consideration for induction be made. Backup documentation includes DD214 (or equivalent); co-sponsor signature form; and other materials you wish to share to enhance the nomination.
Back-up documentation can be emailed to email@example.com or sent via postal mail to:
San Diego LGBT Community Center
Attn: Rebekah Hook-Held
PO Box 3357
San Diego, CA 92103
Back-up documentation can also be hand delivered to The Center, 3909 Centre St., San Diego, CA 92103.
- Anyone wishing to appeal the decision of the LGBT Veteran’s Wall of Honor Advisory Council may do so in writing to the San Diego LGBT Community Center’s Chief Public Affairs & Civic Engagement Officer Rebekah Hook-Held.